Institute of Banking Personnel Selection conducts exam for the post of Probationary Officer in various banks.
This post is named as Probationary officers because after getting selected in IBPS exam, candidates are trained and there is a probation of 2 years.
So, if you will be appearing for IBPS PO Exams then you should know all about it. The exam itself is very hard. After getting selected, training make this profession more difficult. Learning phase is always full of experiences in various fields of bank such as credit, customer handling, accounts, lockers etc.
In bank jobs, career as Probationary officer is one of the fastest growing career. Hard work of 2 years gets paid once PO completes his training period.
Some Job Roles of Probationary Officer
- Practical knowledge in finance, accounting, marketing, billing as well as investment.
- Routine works such as scrolling, posting, account preparation etc.
- Another responsibility of PO is to work as Public relations officer.
- Handle customer complaints and address various customer related issues, discrepancies in accounts.
- Rectification of undue charges.
- A bank PO issues ATM cards, cheque books, Demand Drafts etc.
- Work of a bank PO also includes managerial tasks, such as supervision of clerical work, taking decisions for the benefit of the bank, managing cash balance etc.
- When the Management Trainee successfully completes the training period of 2 years, he is promoted as Assistant Bank Manager. Now, there is a change in the work responsibilities too. The basis work profile now involves to handle on daily customer transactions, viz. passing a cheque, draft issuance, cash management etc.
To appear for IBPS PO , a candidate must be any of the following:
- Citizen of India
- Subject of Nepal or Bhutan
- Tibetan refugee who is permanently settled in India prior to January 1, 1962
- Person of Indian origin who has migrated from either Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Burma, Vietnam, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania, Zaire, or Zambia with the intention of residing permanently in India.
Please note that candidates belonging to categories (b), (c), and (d) should possess a certificate of eligibility issued by the Government of India.
- A graduate degree or equivalent in any discipline from a university recognized by Government of India.
- General category candidates must score minimum 60% marks while there is a relaxation of 5% for reserved category.
- General category applicants should be of at least 20 years and less than 30 years.
- Provisions for age relaxation, depending upon the category of the candidate as per IBPS norms, is tabulated below:
|Category||Relaxation in age|
|Scheduled Tribes and Scheduled Castes||05 years|
|Other Backward Classes- Non-Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL)||03 years|
|Persons with Disability (PWD)||10 years|
|Ex-Servicemen, Commissioned Officers (including Emergency Commissioned Officers, and Short Service Commissioned Officers) who were in service for not less than 5-years and resigned on the conclusion of the assigned project.||05 years|
|The original residents of Kashmir Division of the State of J&K during January 1980 to December 1989.||05 years|
|Candidates affected by the 1984 riots||05 years|
IBPS PO is an objective type, computer-based examination, while the exam pattern is different for the Prelims and Mains Exam and the same has been explained below.
Prelims stage of IBPS PO exam comprises objective type questions which need to be attempted by the candidates in 1 hour. It comprises 3 sections, i.e. English, Quantitative Aptitude and Reasoning Ability. Medium of the exam is English and Hindi. Section-wise distribution of questions of each section is tabulated below.
|Section||Number of Questions||Marking Scheme||Medium of Exam||Duration|
|English||30||+1 for each correct answer; -1/4 for each wrong answer||English||1 hour|
|Quantitative Aptitude||35||English and Hindi|
As per IBPS PO Marking Scheme, 1 mark is awarded for every correct answer while ¼ marks are deducted for a wrong answer. Candidates who meet the Cut Off score in the Prelims exam as specified by IBPS will proceed to the Mains Exam.
The Mains exam is divided into 5 sections and the section-wise distribution of questions is tabulated below. Candidates will have to answer 200 questions and maximum marks for the exam is 200.
|Section||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks||Medium of Exam||Duration|
|English Language||35||40||English||40 minutes|
|Essay & Letter Writing||2||25||30 minutes|
|Data Analysis & Interpretation||35||60||English and Hindi||45 minutes|
|General/Economy/Banking Awareness||40||40||35 minutes|
|Reasoning & Computer Aptitude||45||60||60 minutes|
1. All papers except English will be available in both languages Hindi & English.
2. Negative marking applicable for all candidates with O.25 marks deducted at every wrong question and unmarked questions will not be included in Negative marking.
3. Minimum score required being called for Interview.
IBPS PO Interview
The candidates who have qualified the mains exam will be called for an interview which will carry 100 marks.It has a panel of bank officials who will raise questions to the candidates concerned themselves, banking sector, current affairs, general awareness, etc. The candidates must be well-dressed, confident and carry all required documents to the interview.
Candidates can find below all important details related to IBPS PO exam tabulated below.
|Online Registration including Edit/Modification of Application||July 2019- August 2019|
|Online Payment of Application Fees/Intimation Charges||July 2019- August 2019|
|IBPS PO 2019 Admit Card for Prelims||September 2019|
|IBPS PO 2019 Prelims Exam Date||October 12, 13, 19 & 20, 2019|
|Publication of Results of IBPS PO 2019 Prelims||October 2019|
|Availability of Hall Ticket for IBPS PO 2019 Mains||November 2019|
|IBPS PO 2019 Mains Exam Date||November 30, 2019|
|Publication of Results for IBPS PO 2019 Mains||December 2019|
|Issuance of Call Letters for IBPS PO 2019 Interview||January 2020|
|Common Interview Schedule||January/February 2020|
|Provisional Allotment||April 2020|
Step 1- IBPS Online Registration
Step 2- Filling the IBPS PO Application form 2019
Step 3- Uploading Documents
Step 4- Choosing Organization Preference
Step 5- Paying the Application Fee
For details refer Notification:
IBPS Prelims Syllabus
This comprises of Reasoning Ability, Quantitative Aptitude and English Language.
|Reasoning Ability||Quantitative Aptitude||English Language|
|Logical Reasoning||Simplification||Reading Comprehension|
|Alphanumeric Series||Profit & Loss||Cloze Test|
|Ranking/Direction/Alphabet Test||Mixtures &Alligations||Para jumbles|
|Data Sufficiency||Simple Interest & Compound Interest & Surds & Indices||Multiple Meaning / Error Spotting|
|Coded Inequalities||Work & Time||Fill in the blanks|
|Seating Arrangement||Time & Distance||Miscellaneous|
|Puzzle||Mensuration – Cylinder, Cone, Sphere||Paragraph Completion|
|Syllogism||Ratio & Proportion, Percentage|
|Blood Relations||Number Systems|
|Input Output||Sequence & Series|
|Coding Decoding||Permutation, Combination &Probability|
Comparative Table showing topic – wise syllabus of SSC (CGL), IBPS (PO) & SBI (PO)
The exam pattern of IBPS PO covers a vast range of subjects, wherein English and Quantitative Aptitude are at the elementary level and Reasoning, Data Interpretation, and General Awareness are at the Competitive Examination level.
|Quantitative Aptitude||Reasoning Ability||English Language||General Awareness||Computer knowledge|
|Simplification, Number Series, Ratio & Proportion, Percentage & Averages, Profit & Loss, Mixtures & Allegations, Simple Interest & Compound Interest, Work & Time Time & Distance, Sequence & Series, Quadratic Equation, Permutation & Combination||Seating Arrangement, Syllogism, Input Output, Coding Decoding, Alphanumeric Series, Ranking/Direction/Alphabet test, Data sufficiency, Puzzle, Logical Reasoning||Reading Comprehension, Fill in the blanks, Error Spotting, Sentence Correction, Para Jumbles||Banking & Financial Awareness, Current Affairs. Static GK||Fundamentals of Computer, History of Computer, Internet MS Office, Input Output devices, Computer Shortcuts|